Passport and Visa

You will need a valid passport for entry into Sweden. In some cases, a residence permit is also required. For the Residence permit (VISA) application, the Letter of Acceptance from Umeå University is required. For further information, please contact the Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your home country at

Students who come to Sweden as free-movers must show that they have
SEK 80 640 in guaranteed financing if staying for an entire year. This requirement does not apply to exchange students.

Residence permit

As an EU/EEA citizen you have the right to study in Sweden without a residence permit. The right of EU citizens to stay in Sweden without a residence permit is called right of residence. More information at Migration Agency.

Citizens of Switzerland need to apply for residence permit if they want to stay longer than three months. More information on the Migration Agency website.

Students who are not citizens of EU/EEA countries (non-EU student) must apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Embassy/Consulate in their home country before departure. For more information see the Swedish Migration Agency at

For further information, please contact the nearest Swedish Embassy or Consulate.